Saturday, August 9, 2008

1st Grade



Well my oldest child, Blake, had his first day of 1st grade on Tuesday. He's getting so big, it's ridiculous.
I can remember when he was born and everything with him seems like it was yesterday. As he was riding his bike this weekend and kind of standing up while riding, I thought to myself, he is growing up! I can't do anything about it, I can't make it stop, I just have to hold on for the ride and enjoy each moment as they come. He really is "made" for school too, he thrives on it. He enjoys the structure, the moving from activity to activity, meeting friends but also learning new things. He learned to read last year in Mrs. O'Boyle's class and that really made me realize he was growing up.

I got to drive him to school the 1st day and I must say I was pretty sad, almost turned on the tears. Everyone was in the car with me (except Will who had to be at work early), so I was unable to actually park and walk him in, since dragging all 3 brothers in tow was not an option. So, he said it was okay and he didn't mind to go in alone. However, I MINDED! I was so sad, I called Will immediately who is always my voice of reason and gave me 3 reasons why he thought it was perfectly okay for Blake to walk into 1st grade alone. I was comforted by the encouraging words. I realized however, since Brett was born, Blake has been the older brother and with that comes more responsibility and sometimes the shaft on some otherwise comforting actions, such as mom walking into 1st grade. I'm better now, it is therapeutic for me to write about it. He survived, I survived and he now gets dropped off every morning and is just dandy with it. Okay, I'm done having a pity party for myself.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Oh, Andi. I too cannot believe that he (and Fletcher!) are in 1st grade this year. I remember coming to Rachel's house (duplex) right after they were born. I have pictures of the two of them as infants lying on a bed holding hands.

The Stums said...

I feel ya, dawg. I think I'll be "that" mom crying at the door of Luke's kindergarten class. He, however, has already asked if I HAVE to walk him in. "Can't you just drop me off?" Gee, thanks.

ms

Amy Elizabeth Robinson said...

It is so hard to see them gain such independence when they start school. My oldest is a 2nd grader this year and I cannot understand where the time has gone. It doesn't seem possible.

I am praying for the sell of your house.