Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dead or alive?

This is what I had to ask myself after finishing my 2nd 1/2 marathon ever on Saturday. It was the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon, mind you, and I hate country music. But, this has become a Lee event through and through and one I'll probably participate in until I just can't possibly do it anymore. However, this year compared to last year, was ridiculously much harder. This year I decided to run a mile, then walk a mile and that is exactly how I trained. Last year, I walked 12 miles and ran the last one to the finish line. My time last year, you might ask, was 3:03 and 19 seconds. So, surely I could shave off those 3 measly minutes since I'm running half of it, RIGHT? Nope, my time this year, you might ask, was 3:03 and 17 seconds. 2 seconds faster than last year and my body actually did half running/half walking.

This year Will decided to not train much therefore he committed to stay with me the entire race. Well, I knew I was in for some persuasion since I have been married to him 10 years and I know his personality. So about 1/2 mile in, here comes the persuasion. Surely we can make it to the first water stand running right Andrea? Sure thing honey. Well that was before the marathon committee decided to change the course this year and add 1 million more hills! Needless to say, I almost had to cuss Will to get him to let me walk in the beginning when the hills felt like they'd never end. I gave him the ole, "honey, I told you it would be annoying for you to try to push me beyond what I've trained for." So, he backed off and with his sweet laid back-ness, he stayed with me walking and running the entire rest of the race.

Around mile 12, my legs had so many cramps in them, I'm pretty sure I looked handicapped hobbling into the final mile. At one point, I had to stop and stretch out my legs just to get some relief. This coming after I almost chuked my "Gu" twice and had to hold it back for fear of embarrassment.

In the end, I was so happy to cross the finish line and see familiar faces who also had just finished up. Friday night at Bucca was a blast, food and company was a lot of fun. The whole atmosphere in the morning (even though we missed the group picture b/c the buses were moving slowly) is quite exciting. 33,000 people dressed and ready to complete the same goal, it's a lot of hype but well worth it.

So, all in all, great experience. We'll see about #3 for 2010, my guess is I'll get roped in again and experience all of this same stuff for a 3rd time.

Here we are below in our bright orange Lee University shirts.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad you're alive, that's for sure! And I don't know if I told you this, but my personal favorite part of the race is crossing the finish line and immediately grabbing a chocolate donut :) Thanks for writing about this... I love it!

The Stums said...

Funny recap, Andi. I'm in awe of how bodies refuse to perform even thought we warned them for months what was coming. It's like all your body parts gang up on you and decide to play dead. Really unfair.

Naomi said...

ew... more hills? Whoever made that decision should be fired.

Jerome said...

Anyone who finished this one deserves major props. Congratulations for holding down the GU and getting across the finish line.

Our personal reward for finishing was a 90 minute traffic jam in the worst parking lot EVER.

V&J